Sunday, June 10, 2007

Basic Kick Defense

In this situation, I have not
yet had the opportunity to create
an opening to clinch. Before I can
set anything up, my opponent
throws a kick.
There are a few very important
factors that must be present
in my initial defense: First, both of
my hands must remain up at either
side of my face to protect it from
strikes (figure 1). Second, I will
use my legs, not my hands to
defend myself from this kick, since
it is low (figure 2).
The reasons for this
method of defense become clear
when you consider that by “dropping”
my hands away from my face
to defend the kick initially, my
opponent might chamber his kick
and land a second one to my
head. My opponent might also
be setting me up with a combination
of kicks and punches, hoping
that by kicking low, I will reach for
his leg. If I reach for his leg, I will
create an opportunity for my
opponent to land a punch to my
undefended face.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home